Sun, Dec 06|
STARS - The Safer Sex Talk Workshop
How do we talk about sex?
Time & Location
Dec 06, 2020, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM PST
About the Event
Talking about sex can be soooooo awkward! Fortunately, with some practice and suggestions for what to say, it really doesn’t have to be - it can even be hot! Join us for a STARS© workshop to learn more about how to have “the talk” with new and long term partners and to spend some time actually putting it into practice.
The event is at 10 am Pacific Time, 11 am Mountain Time, 12 pm Central Time, 1 pm Eastern Time, and 7 pm Central European Time and will last for 3 hours. It will be very interactive and we’ll take a few minute bio break around mid-way through. We’ll start right on time so please arrive a little early to make sure you don’t get delayed by technological issues.
STARS© stands for STI Status, Turn-Ons, Avoids, Relationship Intentions, & Safer Sex Protocols. It’s a simple and effective model to help you navigate this important conversation. During this workshop we’ll introduce each element of STARS© and then give you a chance to practice talking through it with each other in small group breakout rooms.
Some things you’ll take away from this workshop:
- Strategies for creating more consensual sexual relationships with clearer communication
- How to take responsibility for your sexual health by understanding and talking about STIs and safer sex
- Normalizing communication with others about sexual desires, intentions, fears, and boundaries
- More confidence in tackling this potentially intimidating or awkward conversation
- More sexual self-awareness: what things you do and don’t want or need
We ask that you do a little homework before the workshop so you can get more out of it:
- Please go through this worksheet and fill in your answers. We will be relying on this worksheet heavily throughout the class and it will be much easier if you’ve gone through it in advance :-)
- Take 16 minutes to watch the following TEDx talk by Dr. Evelin Dacker, the creator of STARS©: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Z6mKMGq4M&t=25s
- Check out the website Make time for the talk for more information.
We also strongly recommend that you take our Awesome Boundaries class prior to this one, but it is not a requirement.
This meet up is being offered through Sex Positive World to members of all sex positive chapters in the US and Europe and to people interested in starting chapters or just learning some tips for talking with partners about sex. Come enjoy this opportunity to meet people from around the US and the world who care about clear communication and safer sex!
What other people are saying: "STARS is the best communication tool I've seen in years! Easy to remember on the fly and this class's experiential format gives great practice before the big moment."
"Practicing the STARS Talk still makes me blush but teaches communication skills for that most important time, when people are about to be intimate!"
"This was such a fantastic class. You'll gain so many insights into yourself AND others."
"My ecosystem is flush enough with money right now that I can share at this level to support SPW"
Regular Price Ticket
"I'm in a sustainable place financially and happy to contribute this much to support SPW"
Pay What You Can
"Money is tight right now but I would like to help support SPW"
Money would be a barrier for me to attend so I am choosing this option.